Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Artist Statement

Film has the ability to capture the real world, to act as an escape, stimulate your mind, to inspire, create fear, joy, tears, and so much more. Movies have the power to cheer you up when you’re down, to this day Jim Henson Muppet movies will always put a smile on my face. Not only are movies a way to escape the realities of life but they can also make you feel not so alone and portray experiences that you may relate to. 
Film can provoke certain emotions and make you change the way you think. I have been a vegetarian since my early high school years and when my family members were on the fence about converting and I could not provide a strong enough argument for them verbally by myself I had them watch the 2008 documentary “Food Inc.” The documentary goes in depth at exposing the industrialized food system in American and it’s effects on our health, environment, and the cruelty to animals. Other such documentaries such as “Meet Your Meat” that came about in 2003, were the initial point of so many viewers, like my father for example, to change their lifestyle completely to vegetarianism. I find that film and the media in general have such power and ability to influence the masses. 
I’ve jumped around from major to major in my college career thus far and never found a fit. I went from criminal justice, to environmental science, to political science, and to women and gender studies. I was always interested in these subjects and always believed I had good reason to go in each one of these fields but would always lose interest somewhere down the line. I always looked to my future and tried to see what I could see myself doing, what was “practical” and not taking into consideration the things I loved presently. So, going based on my previous experiences and what I love to do; watching films, listening and creating music, photography, acting, starring in friend’s viral videos and film projects I thought, why not media studies? A major that would create a way for me to experience a combination a various media channels and take what I learn in hopes of finding a career in a field that I am the most interested in. I am hoping that my Media and Film in a Digital Age course along with this blog will help create a path for me into the world of media whether it be acting, screenwriting, producing, directing, whatever area it may be as long as I have the ability to do what I love and have the chance to inspire someone along the way. 





No comments:

Post a Comment